A few items to memorialize the first half of the year...
- Via Real Time Economics, sobering stuff from the Bank for International Settlements.
- Chinese equities? Not a pretty picture. So much for that "wait-for-the-Olympics" idea.
- In The New Yorker, James Surowiecki notes that "speculators" have long been ideal foils for the political class.
- Here's Vanity Fair's blowout piece on the Bear Stearns story.
- Barry Ritholtz makes an argument we've long believed: Home prices must fall, and efforts to prop them up are more likely to hurt than help.